Saturday, October 31, 2009

Leota's Garden

I just finished Leota's Garden by Francine Rivers. I have to discuss it a little. It's about an old woman who has lived her life without telling her children why she made the choices she did. Her choices allowed them to believe she put her work and her self ahead of them when in fact she was the only one working and supporting them, their grand parents and their father who was emotionally damaged during WWII. This book also dealt with the large question of what we feel about our elderly in this nation and what we do with them when they are no longer able to "contribute to society or our lives." I have lots of mixed feelings about this book. While many of Francine River's books are excellent and they made me think while I enjoyed them; this book left me cold.

Leota lost precious years with her children because she had a misplaced since of loyalty to her Mother and Father in law. Maybe I could let this happen. But I wanted to reach in the book and shake her and say it's not a sin to stop people from damaging your relationships. Aw, but one of the things Ms. Rivers does best is force the reader to examine their own weaknesses through the weaknesses of her characters.

Today's society and possibly our own future may well be described in pages leading up to and including Leota's own ending. Fictional or not it was like a slap in the face with a block of ice! It was enough to almost make me throw the book on the floor and not pick it up again. Maybe that was Ms. Rivers' point. I didn't throw the book and I did finish it.

She draws clear lines between believers, and non believers. She forces the reader to look at controversial issues straight on in a Christian view not only in attitude but Godly actions. And gives us a glimpse of them from a worldly perspective as well. We even get to ponder how those in the world may change their views when the issues directly impact them.

I don't know if I like this book or not. I had to talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment